This article describes the search criteria that can be used by end users to refine archive searches in Mimecast applications.
- End users of Mimecast applications.
- Where archiving is enabled as an account package.
The following criteria can be used when using the Smart Search functionality:
- Text parameters
When entering text, consider the following:
- The specified text can be anywhere inside a message, including attachments (e.g message header, message body, message subject, file name, attachment content).
- Spaces between words automatically invoke the AND parameter. See the Parameters section below for further details.
- Common words (see below) are not indexed by Mimecast, including if they form part of a phrase. Therefore they are ignored when the search query is performed.The common words are "a", "an", "and", "are", "as", "at", "be", "but", "by", "for", "if", "in", "into", "is", "it", "no", "not", "of", "on", "or", "such", "that", "the", "their", "then", "there", "these", "they", "this", "to", "was", "will", and "with".
- Searching for an attachment of type 'txt' or 'html', may return more messages than expected. This is because all messages have a 'body.txt' and/or 'body.htm' part.
The following parameters can be used in the text field:
|Parameter||Description||Search Example||Search Result|
|AND||Spaces between words automatically invoke the AND parameter. This ensures that all words must be present in messages to be returned in the results.|
red AND green
|Messages containing both "red" and "green".|
|OR||Returns messages that contain one words of the in the search criteria.||red OR green||Messages containing "red" or "green".|
|Wildcards||Wildcards are supported in the search term. |
Archive searches can only start with valid search text. Wildcards or other search parameters (e.g. '!') used as the first character in the search string causes the search to fail. Wildcards placed in the middle of a search string are not supported.
|red*||Messages containing words that start with "red" (e.g. "redemption", "redish").|
|-||Excludes a term.||red -green||Messages containing "red" but not "green".|
|Phrase||Search for a phrase by placing multiple search term between quotation marks.||"dark red"||Messages containing the phrase "dark red".|
|One or more search filter can be used to assist you with enhancing your search results.|
See the "Filters" section below for full details.
See the "Filters" section below for full details.
Filters can be used in the "Text" field to assist you with enhancing your search results. The following search filters are available:
|Search Filter||Description||Search Example||Search Result|
|subject:||Searches the message's subject line.||subject: "draft contract"||Messages containing the phrase "draft contract" in the Subject.|
|headers:||Searches the message's header.||header: "contract"||Messages containing the word "contract" in the Header.|
|body:||Searches the message's body.||body: "contract"||Messages containing the word "contract" in the Body.|
|to:||Searches messages sent to a particular person, address, or domain.||to: email@example.com||Messages sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|from:||Searches messages sent from a particular person, address, or domain.||from: domain.com||Messages received from the domain.com domain.|
|with:||Searches messages containing a particular person, address, or domain.||with: John Smith||Messages sent to or received from "John Smith".|
|doc:||Searches attachment file names, attachment content, and attachment type.|
doc: "draft contract"
|Messages that contain an attachment containing the phrase "draft contract" in the file name, attachment content, or file type.|
|Multiple Filters||Multiple filters can be separated by a space.||subject: contract to: email@example.com||Messages containing the word "contract" in the Subject, and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
This method of searching is only available in Mimecast for Outlook v7.3 and before.
The following search criteria is currently only available in the Advanced Search function:
By default, a search spans all items during the last year. You can shorten or widen the time frame, or select to search through a specific date range. The available time frames are:
- 1 Week
- 1 Month
- 1 Year
- 5 Years
- All Time
You can use the "doc:" filter in the Smart Search to find specific file attachments, and attachment content. However the Advanced Search can be used to search for the following well known attachment types:
|File Type||Attachment Types|
|Optional||Any or no attachment type.|
|Any Attachments||Any attachment type|
|Documents||.doc, .dot, .docx, .docm, .dotx, .dotm, .pdf, .rtf, or .html.|
|Spreadsheets||.xls, .xlt, .xlsx, .xlsm, .xltx, .xltm, .xlsb, .xlam, or .csv.|
|Presentations||.ppt, .pptx, .pptm, .potx, .potm, .ppam, .ppsx, .ppsm, .sldx, .sldm, .thms, or .pps.|
|Text Files||.txt, .text, .html, or .log.|
|Images & Photos||.jpg, .jpeg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .psd, .tif, or .tiff.|
|Sound & Video||.mp3, .mp4, .m4a, .mpg, .mpeg, .avi, .wav, .aac, .wma, or .mov.|
|Compressed||.zip, .rar, .cab, .gz, .gzip, or .7z.|
|None||No attachment type|
- Folder: Specify a folder to focus the search on that specific content.
- Route: Specify whether to focus on any route, internal, outgoing, or incoming messages.