With the notifications enabled, the user receives a message in their Inbox notifying them of the availability of the new release and a link to the Service Updates release guidance.
These notifications have the following benefits:
- Useful for IT Administrators wishing to be notified of an update.
- It is advisable to disable this functionality for all end users in managed software environments.
- Notifications are generated by Mimecast for Outlook directly, and not by the Mimecast gateway.
- End users of Mimecast for Outlook
- Administrators of the Administration Console
To enable new version notifications:
- Log in to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration toolbar button. A menu drop-down is displayed.
- Click on the Services | Applications menu item.
- Open the relevant Application Settings profile.
- Expand the Outlook accordion.
- Check the Enable New Version Available Notifications option.
- Click Save and Exit.
With new version notifications enabled, end users will experience both of the following:
- When opening the About view, the application checks if updates are available. If there are, the dialog displays a download link.
- When a new version is available, an inbox notification is created.