This article looks at how Administrators can use Group Policy to install Mimecast for Outlook on end users machines. The Mimecast for Outlook installer will automatically upgrade over previous versions. No uninstall is required.
- Review the Mimecast for Outlook: Prerequisites article.
- The "Allow Automatic Failover" option in the Continuity section of the Configuring Application Settings must be disabled.
- Group your users into 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Outlook users. This ensures the correct version of Mimecast for Outlook is installed.
- Copy the Mimecast Services for Outlook.x.msi to your shared network location for software installation, ensuring the location has sufficient permissions.
Windows 2008 Server
- Start the Group Policy Management snap-in:
- Click Start.
- Point to Administrative Tools.
- Click Group Policy Management.
- Select Group Policy Objects in the console tree,.
- Right click the left side window pane.
- Click the New button.
- Give the Group Policy a name relevant to the installation.
- Click OK.
- Expand Group Policy Objects and locate your new policy.
- Right click your Group Policy object.
- Click the Edit button. The Group Policy Management Editor is displayed.
- Expand the Computer Configuration | Policies | Software settings.
- Select Software installation.
- Right click Software installation.
- Point to New.
- Click Package. The Open dialog is displayed.
- Type the full Universal Naming Convention (UNC) Path of the shared installer package (e.g. \\file server\share\Mimecast Services for Outlook.x.msi).
Do not use the Browse button to access the location. Make sure you use the UNC path to the shared installer package.The file share must be accessible from the end users machines. Check that the security and sharing settings are correct.
- Select Open.
- Select Assigned.
- Click OK. The package is listed in the right pane of the Group Policy window.
- Close the Group Policy snap-in.
- Click OK.
- Exit the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
- Close the Group Policy Management Editor.
When the client computer starts, the Mimecast for Outlook software is automatically installed. To download the user settings as defined in the Application Settings definition and start using Mimecast for Outlook, the client needs to authenticate with Mimecast.