User Folder Archiving allows Administrators to archive user's home directories or My Documents folders into the Mimecast Archive. To implement Mimecast File Archive, Mimecast Synchronization Engine needs to be installed in your environment.
User Folder Archiving provides an off-site secure copy of user's home directories or My Documents folders. These files are accessible to Administrators using Archive Search or Smart Tags, and to end users via Mimecast Personal Portal or Mimecast for Outlook - even in the event of a file server outage. File Archiving enables Administrators to adhere to compliance regulations, and simplify their environment by having both email and file archives in one central location.
Configuring User Folder Archiving
To configure a User Folder task definition:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration menu item. A menu drop down is displayed.
- Click on the Services | File Archive menu item.
- Click on the File Archive Definitions button on the task toolbar, and select the User Share Archive option.
- Click on the New Definition button.
- Complete the relevant fields as detailed below:
Field Description Description A description for your definition e.g. User's My Document Folders User Home Directory
The location of your home directory is managed by an Active Directory attribute. Choose the option that identifies your user's home directories:
- Default - the attribute is automatically set to homedirectory
- User Home Path - A full UNC path for the location
- Custom - a text field is displayed that allows the Administrator to type a custom attribute:
This custom attribute must exist within your Active Directory environment, and is case sensitive
Select the file types to include
Specify files types or file extensions that should not be archived. The file types selected include the following file formats:
- Documents: .doc, .dot, .docx, .dotx, .docm, .dotm, .w6w, .wiz, .word, .pages, .pdf, .rtf, .odt, .fodt, .mpd, .mpp, .mpt, .mpc, .mpv, .mpx, .mxm, .olb, .tlp, .vsd, .vss, .vst, .vsw, .vdx, .vsx, .vtx, .vsl
- Spreadsheets: .xls ,.xlt ,.xla, .xlsx, .xltx, .xlsm, .xltm, .xlam, .xlsb
- Presentations: .ppt, .pot, .pps, .ppa, .pptx, .potx, .ppsx, .ppam, .pptm, .potm, .ppsm
- Text Files: .txt, .text, .htm, .html, .602, .asc, .csv
- Images and Photos: .jpeg, .jpg, .pjpeg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .dat, .tiff, .tif, .psd, .svg, .xcf
- Sound Files: .mp3, .mpg, .mpeg, .wav, .mp4, .ogg, .flac, .ra
- Video Files: .mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .m1s, .mpa, .mp2, .m2a, .mp2v, .m2v, .m2s, .avi, .wmv, .qt, .mov, .sgi, .m4v, .ogg, .asf, .asx, .wma, .wmx, .rm, .ram, .rmvb, .3gp, .mkv
- Compressed Files: .zip, .rar, .cab, .tar, .tar.gz, .gtar, .ar, .cpio, .shar, .lbr, .mar, .bz2, .lz, .lzma, .lzo, .rz, .7z, .s7z, .ace, .afa, .alz, .apk, .arc, .arj, .ba, .bh, .cab, .cfs, .cpt, .dar, .dd, .dgc, .iso, .dmg, .ha, .ice, .kgb, .lzh, .lha, .lzx, .pak, .pea, .pim, .pit, .qda ,.sit, .sitx, .tgz, .tar.z, .tar.bz2, .tbz2, .tar.lzma, .tlz, .uc, .zipx, .zoo
Limit archiving based on file attributes Use properties of the file to determine if it should be archived
- Click on the Save and Exit button.
Once the User Folder Archiving definition has been created, a File Archiving Task must be configured in order for the definition to take affect. A definition that has been assigned to an Exchange Task cannot be removed, until the File Archiving Task has been deleted.
Permissions to view archived files
Administrators are able to view these archived files. By default, end users will automatically be granted permissions to view their files in Mimecast Personal Portal and Mimecast for Outlook. These permissions can be adjusted by the Administrator as required.
File Archive folders cannot be renamed or deleted if associated with a File Archiving definition or File Archiving Task.