Shared Folder Archiving is used to archive common or shared data from your environment into the Mimecast Archive. Administrators and users (with sufficient permissions) are then able to access these files. In order to implement Shared Folder Archiving, Mimecast Synchronization Engine needs to be installed in your environment.
Shared Folder Archiving provides an off-site secure copy of specified shared folders. These files are accessible to Administrators using Archive Search or Smart Tags, and can also be configured to be available to end users via Mimecast Personal Portal or Mimecast for Outlook - even in the event of a file server outage. Shared Folder Archiving enables Administrators to adhere to compliance regulations, and simplify their environment by having both email and file archives in one central location.
How do I use Shared Folder Archiving?
Shared Folder Archiving is configured as a task definition, which then requires an File Archiving Task to be implemented.
- To create a Shared Folder task definition, navigate to Administration | Services | File Archiving
- Click on the File Archive Definitions button on the task toolbar, and select the Network Share Archive option
- Click the New Definition button:
- Complete the folder property fields as described below:
Field Description Name The folder's name. This value is used as the name for the Smart Tag Description A description for the folder Archive Email Address The email address that is used to transfer the files. The selected files from the shared folder are archived against this email address, which should also be used when searching for archived files Shared Folder Path
Enter the UNC path of the folder to be archived. An example of a valid UNC path is \\servera\shares\sales
Use the clear icon to remove the selected address from the field.
Select the file types to include
- Documents: .doc, .dot, .docx, .dotx, .docm, .dotm, .w6w, .wiz, .word, .pages, .pdf, .rtf, .odt, .fodt, .mpd, .mpp, .mpt, .mpc, .mpv, .mpx, .mxm, .olb, .tlp, .vsd, .vss, .vst, .vsw, .vdx, .vsx, .vtx, .vsl
- Spreadsheets: .xls ,.xlt ,.xla, .xlsx, .xltx, .xlsm, .xltm, .xlam, .xlsb
- Presentations: .ppt, .pot, .pps, .ppa, .pptx, .potx, .ppsx, .ppam, .pptm, .potm, .ppsm
- Text Files: .txt, .text, .htm, .html, .602, .asc, .csv
- Images and Photos: .jpeg, .jpg, .pjpeg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .dat, .tiff, .tif, .psd, .svg, .xcf
- Sound Files: .mp3, .mpg, .mpeg, .wav, .mp4, .ogg, .flac, .ra
- Video Files: .mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .m1s, .mpa, .mp2, .m2a, .mp2v, .m2v, .m2s, .avi, .wmv, .qt, .mov, .sgi, .m4v, .ogg, .asf, .asx, .wma, .wmx, .rm, .ram, .rmvb, .3gp, .mkv
- Compressed Files: .zip, .rar, .cab, .tar, .tar.gz, .gtar, .ar, .cpio, .shar, .lbr, .mar, .bz2, .lz, .lzma, .lzo, .rz, .7z, .s7z, .ace, .afa, .alz, .apk, .arc, .arj, .ba, .bh, .cab, .cfs, .cpt, .dar, .dd, .dgc, .iso, .dmg, .ha, .ice, .kgb, .lzh, .lha, .lzx, .pak, .pea, .pim, .pit, .qda ,.sit, .sitx, .tgz, .tar.z, .tar.bz2, .tbz2, .tar.lzma, .tlz, .uc, .zipx, .zoo
Limit archiving based on file attributes Use properties of the file to determine if it should be archived
- Click on the Save and Exit button.
Once the Shared Folder Archiving definition has been created, a File Archiving Task must be configured in order for the definition to take affect. A group (e.g. root directory in AD) should be selected to complete the Task configuration. A definition that has been assigned to an File Archiving task cannot be removed, until the File Archiving task has been deleted.
Permissions to view archived files
Administrators (with sufficient permissions) are able to view these archived files. By default, end users will NOT be granted permissions to view these files in Mimecast Personal Portal and Mimecast for Outlook, and these permissions can be adjusted by the Administrator as required.
File Archive folders cannot be renamed or deleted if associated with a File Archiving definition or File Archiving Task.