Using the Mimecast Synchronization Engine the Managed Folders feature provides you with the ability to apply granular retention policies to email messages in both Exchange and the Mimecast archive on a per mailbox folder basis.
- Depending on the business case the message retention can be increased or decreased.
- Policies can be applied to Well Known Folders, specific Mimecast Managed Folders, the entire mailbox (Default Policy), or any combination of these.
- Policies applying to Well Known Folders and the entire mailbox are admin enforced.
- Mimecast Managed Folder's empower users to manage how long to keep messages directly from their Exchange mailbox using any mail client by moving messages to a folder.
Managed Folders is an extremely powerful and flexible feature with the potential to be destructive if configured incorrectly. Please ensure you read the guidance provided in this space carefully to prevent the unwanted destruction of your users messages.
If you are in any doubt please contact your Mimecast Account manager or our support teams for assistance.
Some of the benefits that Managed Folders provides are:
- Granular management of Exchange and archive storage.
- The ability to meet legal / company enforced compliance requirements in regards to Exchange and archive email storage.
- The ability to provide users with a quick and easy way to remove unwanted messages from Exchange and / or the Mimecast archive.
- The ability to empower users to increase or decrease the retention of given message in the Mimecast archive without additional client software.
View the Getting Started with Exchange Managed Folders guide.