An auto response definition is used with an auto response policy to automatically issue a response for inbound emails to Mimecast from external senders. Administrators can configure the text or HTML to be used, as well as the other variables for the notification.
This feature is only available for customers that use the latest email Gateway.
To create or change a definition you must:
- Be logged on to the Mimecast Administration Console.
- Have access to the relevant Gateway menu item for the definition being created or changed.
Configuring an Auto Response Definition
To configure an auto response definition:
- Open the Gateway Policy Editor.
- Select the Definitions drop down. A list of the definition types is displayed.
- Select the Auto Response definition type from the list. The list of definitions is displayed.
- Either select the:
- Policy to be changed.
- New New Auto Response Notification button to create a definition.
- Complete the Description and Properties section as follows:
Field Description Description Enter a suitable description for the definition (e.g. Office Move). Subject The text to be displayed in the Subject line of the email notification. If left blank, the original subject line of the email is preserved and is preceded by the text AutoResponse. From Address The From address, which is shown as the sender of the notification. Reply to Header If different from the From address, an email address that will accept replies to the notification Applies To Select an option as required:
- Any Address: Applies to any external addresses, regardless of Auto Allow or Permitted Sender Policies
- Manually added Permitted Senders: Only applies to addresses that have been added by users or Administrators to the Permitted Senders list
- Auto Allowed Senders: Applies to any address that is listed in the Auto Allow list
Response Tracking Period
Enables or disables tracking of sent auto response notifications:
- Disabled: Issues the auto response notification each time an email matches the Policy
- 1 - 7 Days: Will not issue the auto response notification if it has already been issued within the selected time period
Last Tracking Reset Displays the date that Tracking was last reset. Use the Tracking Reset button to remove collected Tracking data, so that new emails matching the Policy will be issued with the auto response notification
- Complete the Plain Text Body section as required.
- Complete the HTML Body section as required.
- Select the Save and Exit button.
Variables can be included in both the Plain Text Body and HTML Body sections to populate specific elements based on the email contents. The following variables are supported:
|Auto Response Tags||[replyto]|
<body>This is a delivery failure notification message indicating that an email [fromaddress-orig] addressed to email address:
With the subject of [subject] sent on the [messagedate] could not be delivered.
Additional information follows:
If you sent the email to multiple recipients, you will receive one of these messages for each one which failed delivery, otherwise they have been sent.