Applies to: version 2.9.1 and earlier.
This article describes the the binding process for the Mimecast Synchronization Engine including the steps to take to complete this task.
What is a Binding
In the context of the Mimecast Synchronization Engine a binding is a security association between the application and Mimecast. The binding is created when a user with the required permissions successfully authenticates using the Site Bind process on the server where the Mimecast Synchronization Engine in installed.
To successfully create a binding you will need:
- Outbound connectivity using HTTPS (port 443) from the server where the Mimecast Synchronization Engine is installed to Mimecast.
- Access to the server where the Mimecast Synchronization Engine is installed.
- The email address and password for a Mimecast Administrator.
Mimecast Administrator requirements
If you are using the built in Mimecast Administrator roles the user that you use to create the binding should be at least a member of Basic Admin role.
If you want to create a custom role for this purpose the minimum permissions required are:
- Account Menu | Dashboard: Read and Edit.
- Services | Exchange Services: Read and Edit.
- Open the Site configure utility on the server where the Mimecast Synchronization Engine is installed.
- Click the Apply button in the Site Configure utility to launch the Site Bind dialog box.
- Enter the primary email address and password of a Mimecast Administrator.
- Select Bind.
The utility will then automatically run through the following steps:
- Find the Mimeacst account associated with the domain name of the email address entered.
- Register (bind) the site with the discovered account.
- Validate that the service account can successfully query the specified Directory Type.
- Validate that the service account can successfully access Exchange.
- Save the binding information to local encrypted storage.
- After a successful site bind the following text will display in the dialog box:
[+] ALL SETTINGS ARE VALID, close this window to save the settings
After binding your Mimecast synchronization engine, activate it by pressing the play button on the application.
Once a binding has been created successfully you can view your installation in the Mimecast Administration Console in the Services | Synchronization Sites page.