Applies to: version 2.9.1 and earlier.
This article describes the requirements and steps required to configure a the Mimecast Synchronization service account for Exchange 2010 / 2013 environments.
For Exchange 2010 / 2013 the user that is selected to run the Mimecast Synchronization Engine service needs to be mailbox enabled and have the Application Impersonation Management Role.
This permission can be configured by following these steps:
- Open an Exchange Management Shell as an Exchange Organization Administrator
- Run this command:
New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name:exchangeImpersonation -Role:ApplicationImpersonation -User:User1Where User1 is the user account selected to run the Mimecast Synchronization Engine service.
Setting the Service Account
Once the Mimecast Synchronization Engine is installed the service account should be set using the Site Configure utility. To do this follow these steps:
- Open the Site Configure Utility from Start | Programs | Mimecast Synchronization Engine
- Navigate to the Accounts tab.
- Use the button to the right of the User Name field.
- Type the name of the user account to set as the service account.
- Click OK.
- Type the user account Password. The utility will automatically detect the primary SMTP address of the user and populate this in the SMTP address text box of the Microsoft Mailbox section.
- Finally leave the Directory | Type to the default Microsoft Active Directory and click Apply.
With the service account configured you are now ready to bind your Mimecast Synchronization Engine site to Mimecast. To learn more about this please see [LEGACY] Binding the Mimecast Synchronization Engine.