Audit logs allow you to search, review, and export logs regarding account access and configuration changes made by administrators. This guide describes what is contained inside the auditing log files, as well as how to access and search this information.
- Administrators responsible for monitoring changes and events that have occurred in their account.
Audit Log Contents
Each log file is an audit of activity on your account, whether it is performed automatically, by an administrator, or a user. Some of the event types captured are:
- Account changes
- User account changes (including password changes)
- New, amended, or deleted policies / definitions
- Directory synchronization
- Journal failures
- Folders being created, updated
- User login attempts and failures
Accessing Audit Logs
To access the audit logs:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration toolbar button. A menu drop down is displayed.
- Click on the Account | Audit Logs menu item. A list of log files is displayed.
- Click on a Log File to display its content. A popout panel is displayed.
- Click the X icon in the top right hand corner of the popup panel to close it.
Searching Audit Logs
To search for particular audit logs and apply filters:
- Click on the All pull down menu and select one of the following:
- User: Searches by the administrator who performed the action.
- Type: Searches by the type of event that generated the log (e.g. "Policy Deleted", "Existing Policy Changed").
- Details: Searches by the known details about the event or changes made.
- Enter any known details in the Search field.
- Click on the Search Icon. Your results are displayed.
By default, log files are displayed from the previous seven days, though they are available to access indefinitely regardless of your account's retention period.
To view audit logs by an alternative date range:
- Click on the 1 week pull down menu.
- Select a time period. To apply an optional custom date range:
- Click on the Custom Range menu item. A date picker displays.
- Select your custom Date and Time period.
- Click on the Select button.
Filtering Audit Logs
To apply category filters to the logs displayed:
- Click on the Filter dropdown menu.
- Check the boxes of the log file categories you wish to display.
- Click on the Apply button.
Exporting Audit Logs
You can export the audit logs displayed, either from your search results and / or a selected / custom time period.
- Click on the Export button. This Export Log panel displays.
- Complete the following:
- Columns to Include: Check the boxes of the information you wish to include.
- Format: Select either .CSV or .XLS as the file format.
- Email: Enter the recipient's email address.
- Click the Export button. An email notification is sent to the recipient to confirm the export has started.
- Once complete, the exported file is emailed to the recipient as an attachment.
A log displays the following details about each event:
Displays the email address of the user who triggered the event.
"Automated Task Manager" is displayed if the event was automatically triggered.
|Category||Displays the category of event that generated the log file (e.g. "Policy Logs", "Account logs").|
|Type||Displays the type of event that generated the log file (e.g. "New Policy", "Completed Directory Sync").|
Displays brief details about the event or changes made. The details displayed depends on the type of event. While the below list is not all-inclusive, some common examples include:
|Date / Time|
Displays the date and time that the audit log was created.