Certain Administration Console dialogs use folders. These allow administrators to group likewise records into the same location, making it easy to locate and reference them from elsewhere in the Administration Console. As the folder system is automatically launched, it provides access without having to navigate away from the current dialog.
Where folders are used in a dialog, a separate folder frame is displayed on the left side. It consists of a pane on the left that displays the tree structure; while the pane on the right shows the objects included in the highlighted folder. By default, the initial folder displayed is the Root folder. New records cannot be created in this folder, but administrators can create sub-folders within it. They can also move, rename, or delete folders as required.
Examples for using folders include:
- Grouping email addresses / domains
- Organizing definitions
- Creating monthly eDiscovery Cases
Working with the Folder Hierarchy
When you first display a dialog that uses folders, the folder hierarchy is displayed by default with a standard width. If required, the folder hierarchy can be collapsed, or the panel width changed.
Collapsing / Displaying the Folder Hierarchy Panel
To collapse / display the folder hierarchy panel:
Changing the Folder Hierarchy Panel Width
To change the folder hierarchy panel's width:
- Click and drag on the panel's divider.
- Release the mouse when the panel is at the required width.
Working with Folders
When working with folders, it is important to understand how they can be viewed and managed. The image on the right shows an example of a typical folder structure. Notice the icons and controls. These can be used to manipulate each folder.
- The selected folder is displayed in bold.
- The number of items / objects in each folder is displayed in brackets.
- The contents of the selected folder is listed in the right hand panel.
Creating a Folder
To create a folder:
- Click the + icon in the lower right hand corner of any folder.
A new folder is created as a sub-folder of the current folder, and automatically be created with the name "New Folder". Additionally the folder hierarchy is refreshed to display the new folder in a collapsed format.
Renaming a Folder
To rename a folder:
- Select the folder in the folder hierarchy.
- Enter the new folder name in the Viewing Folder field at the top of the hierarchy.
- Press the Enter key.
To move a folder to a new location in the hierarchy:
- Select the folder.
- Click the Move Folder button in the right hand panel. The full folder hierarchy is displayed.
- Select the folder where the record is to be placed. The folder hierarchy automatically refreshes to display the change.
Adding Items to a Folder
To add items to a folder:
- Select the folder.
- Click on the New xxxx button in the right hand panel (where xxxx is the name of the item).You cannot add an item to the Root folder.
Deleting a Folder
A folder can only be deleted if it:
- Is empty.
- Has no sub-folders. These should be deleted before the main folder.
- Is not referenced in a policy. If a folder is referenced, the following error dialog is displayed.
To delete a folder:
Certain areas of the Administration Console do not allow folders to be deleted or edited. In this case, these options are not displayed.
To copy an entry from one group to another;
- Right click on an entry in a group. A popup menu is displayed.
- Click the Group Allocations menu item.
- Select the Group you'd like to add the entry to.