You can install Mimecast for Outlook on multiple users machines at the same time, by installing the application on the Citrix or Terminal Server. This allows multiple users to access the application.
A Microsoft SQL server or MySQL server may be required to store add-in data if persistent user profiles are not used. To check if you require a Microsoft SQL server or MySQL server, review the SQL Databases and Mimecast for Outlook article.
For multi-user environments, the following applications prerequisites should be considered:
- Download the Mimecast for Outlook installation file from the Application Downloads page.
- Download and install your Microsoft SQL server or MySQL server (if required):
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or later. SQL Express is not supported.
- MySQL Community Server 5.6.21 or later.
- Download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or later.
- Implement mixed authentication mode (SQL & Windows Authentication).
- Ensure there is LAN connectivity from the terminal server to the SQL Server.
- Disable the "Allow Automatic Failover" option in the Continuity section of your Application Settings.
Configuring MySQL Server
To use MySQL Server as your SQL database, see theMimecast for Outlook: Configuring MySQL Community Server page.
Configuring Microsoft SQL Server
To configure Microsoft SQL server:
You must create a database on the SQL server, and the Mimecast for Outlook .MSI installer must be customized by the Mimecast for Outlook Configuration Tool to include the SQL specific connection string.
- Open the Mimecast for Outlook Configuration Tool. See the The Mimecast for Outlook Configuration Tool page for further detail.
- Click on the File | Open menu item to load the Mimecast for Outlook installation .MSI.
- Navigate to the SQL Settings section.
- Configure the SQL settings as follows:
Option Description Data Source
Enter the SQL Server's IP address or hostname.
Initial Catalog mimecast-mso User ID
Enter the SQL user's userid.
Password Enter the SQL user's password. Pool Size 300Use the default Pool Size setting, unless instructed otherwise by Mimecast Support. Admin user ID Enter the account with administrator database permissions. Admin Password
Enter the database administrator password.
- Click on the Create Database option to initiate the database creation process.
- Click on the Test Connection option to test the SQL Server connection.
- Click on the File | Save As menu item.
A custom MSI installer containing the SQL Connection string to the database that has just been created has been created. This is the installer that should be deployed into the multi user environment.
For standalone installations, Mimecast for Outlook uses a user process called MSDDSK.EXE. This simplifies deployments, as system based proxy settings are applied to Mimecast for Outlook traffic in the context of the logged in user. For multi tenant environments (e.g.Terminal Services / Citrix farms) this process is switched to a per machine process running as the Local System account (msdsrv.exe). In these environments, users share the resource.
This means the local system account must be able to connect to the internet using the proxy server. If your environment isn't configured to allow the local system account to use the proxy as a breakout, enter the following command on the server. This assigns a proxy server to the local system account:
bitsadmin /util /setieproxy localsystem MANUAL_PROXY *.*.*.*:XXXX null
- *.*.*.* is the proxy server IP address.
- xxxx is the port number.