The Mimecast for Outlook Configuration Tool allows administrators to modify specific Mimecast for Outlook settings prior to deployment to end users.
For Mimecast for Outlook v7.2 and before, it provides an interface for administrators to create custom Mimecast for Outlook .MSI files with any changes to the default settings. Once modified, the new MSI file can be deployed individually, or to a group of users.
- Administrators of Mimecast for Outlook
To amend the standard MSI file using the Configuration Tool:
- Click on the File | Open menu menu.
- Select the MSI File that you would like to amend.
- Navigate through the tabs in the menu and make the required amendments, as detailed below.
To modify the default value, seelct the Override option next to the relevant setting. Prior to selecting the Override option, the field will be grayed out.
Install and Update
This tab allows various settings to be modified that are specific to the installer.
|Install Path||Provides the ability to modify the default install path.|
|Sign Adxloader||Digitally signs the Adxloader.dll file used to install Mimecast for Outlook.|
|Enable Automatic Updates||Enables Mimecast for Outlook updates to be automatically installed when a new version is made available.|
|Update URL||Update Mimecast for Outlook when a new version is available in the URL location specified.|
This tab allows you to configure whether or not a Proxy Server is in use. Additional Proxy Server settings can also be defined.
|No Proxy||No proxy server is used for internet access.|
|Use System Proxy Settings||Use the system proxy.|
|Manual Proxy Configuration||Complete customized proxy options.|
|Authentication||Customize the Authentication details used for the Proxy. Validate the Proxy Server settings and credentials by clicking the Test button.|
This tab defines the service account to be used as part of the installation. It also allows specific file and log size limits to be set.
|Service Account||Use the Network Service Account||Specifies the Network Service account used for running the Mimecast service.|
|Use a Custom Account||Customize the user account used for running the Mimecast service.|
|Service Files||Data Cache||Specifies the configurable size cache.|
|Log Path||Specifies the server path for the log files.|
|Max Log File Size||Specifies the maximum log file size.|
|Max Log Rolls||Specifies the number of files to which the logs will roll once they have reached the maximum file size.|
|Log Level||This dictates the level of logging. The options are: None, Error, Info, or Debug (default is set to Notices, Warnings and Errors).|
This tab should be used when implementing Mimecast for Outlook in a Citrix / Terminal Server or roaming profile multi user environment.
|Database Provider||Specify the database type you provide, either SQL Server or MySQL.|
|Connector Location (MySQL Only)||Specify the location of your MySQL Connector/NET location.|
|Data Source||Specify the IP Address or the SQL Server Hostname.|
|Initial Catalog||Specify "mimecast-mso".|
|User ID||Specify the SQL userid.|
|Password||Specify the SQL user's password.|
Use the default setting unless instructed otherwise by Mimecast Support.
|Admin User ID||Specify the user with administrator database permissions.|
|Admin Password||Specify the password of the user with administrator database permissions.|
|Create Database (Should be used AFTER the connection has been tested)||Initiates the database creation process.|
|Test Connection||Tests the connection to the SQL Server.|
Mimecast for Outlook Configuration Tool Files
Once the MSI is modified and saved, two files are generated:
- The new .MSI
- A file with an MCX extension. This is a change file that stores all the modifications made from the default settings. This file should be retained, as it can be useful in the future (e.g. upgrades, recreating the MSI, and making changes to the user's configurations after deployment). Administrators are also able to view or change the MCX files in the Configuration tool. If you select View Change File, you can see a list of the changes made to the default MSI file. Alternatively, administrators are able to open the MSI file and apply the changes to that file, or apply an MCX file directly by clicking on the File | Apply Change File menu item.
Upgrading Mimecast for Outlook in a Multi User Environment
Ensure that every time you upgrade Mimecast for Outlook in a multi user environment, that you:
- Populate the SQL data in the Configuration Tool.
- Click the Create Database button.
This validates if a database upgrade is required, and completes the upgrade of the database version if needed. A log file is created in the configuration tool folder detailing the actions completed.
If proxy settings are updated, a new custom MSI must be generated using the configuration tool. It is not necessary to reinstall the full application, as only the settings.mcx file is affected. The file must be overwritten on the machines where the settings must be changed. Ensure that the:
- File name is settings.mcx
- msddsk.exe service is restarted or the machine rebooted for the new settings to take effect.
- The file path is similar to [Installation directory]\Mimecast\Mimecast Windows Service\]