One of the Mimecast implementation steps is to direct all outbound email via Mimecast. This requires an SMTP Connector to be configured on your Exchange Server.
Prior to Mimecast accepting outbound emails, the Authorized IP Address where emails will be sent from, needs to be added to your Mimecast account.
To create the SMTP Connector:
- In the Exchange Admin Console (EAC), navigate to Microsoft Exchange >Organization Configuration>Hub Transport and then either right click in the open space and select New Send Connector or under "Actions" on the right hand side, select New Send Connector:
- Complete the Name field (e.g. Outbound Mail to Mimecast) and then select Custom for the intended use of the send connector. When completed Click Next:
- Click the Add button and select SMTP Address Space:
- Ensure that the values for the Address space are as the screenshot below, when completed click OK;
- Click Next:
- Under Network Settings, select Route mail through the following smart host and then click the Add button:
- The "Add smart host" pop-up appears. Click the Fully qualified domain name radio button. Depending on your geographical location, use the chart below to enter the Primary and Secondary Smart Hosts in the FQDN field. Click OK when completing each entry.
Region Hostname Europe eu-smtp-outbound-1.mimecast.com
South Africa za-smtp-outbound-1.mimecast.co.za
- Click Next:
- Leave the smart host authentication setting as None and click Next:
- Add the Source Sever and click Next:
- The next screen shows the details of the connector. Check that everything is correct and then click New:
- This will start a test of the connector. Once the test is complete and there are no issues, click Finish:
- The finished connector can be seen in the Send Connectors tab:
- Disable or remove any other Outbound Send Connectors that were previously used. Failure to do this means your outbound email still uses these older send connectors, and is not routed through Mimecast. Any send connectors used for other purposes (e.g archiving) may still be required to be enabled. If in doubt, consult your Mimecast Support engineer.
To confirm that mail is flowing, send an outbound email to an external email address. Navigate to Accepted Email and refresh until you can see the details of the message you have just sent.
Connect Process: Next Step
Once emails are successfully routing outbound through Mimecast, proceed to the next step of the Connect process to configure Recipient Validation and Journaling: