Mimecast for Outlook's continuity mode allows you to continue to send and receive messages, including those of delegated mailboxes, even if your company mail server is unavailable. The Online Inbox and Online Sent Items also provide access to all the messages you've sent or received. This includes messages that are no longer available in your mailbox. Continuity mode is a transparent mode to both you and your email recipients, even though the messages are being sent through us and not your company email server.
Mimecast for Outlook checks for continuity events every three minutes. Once Continuity Mode is disabled, you'll automatically be switched into normal operating mode, and messages will travel through your organization's email server once more.
Mimecast for Outlook can only enter continuity mode if Microsoft Outlook has the "Use Cached Exchange Mode" option enabled in your Account Settings. If Microsoft Outlook is in non-cached mode, continuity functionality is not available.
When Continuity Mode is triggered, the following behavior is experienced:
- Microsoft Outlook is switched to offline mode.
- Whilst the Exchange is offline, Mimecast for Outlook mailbox monitoring functionality continues to check for new messages.
- New messages received via Mimecast populate the Microsoft Outlook Inbox.
- Mimecast for Outlook monitors for, and resolves, duplicate messages:
- From five minutes prior to the start of the Continuity Event.
- Until ten minutes after the Continuity Event ends.
- If stubbing is in use, stubbed messages are not monitored for duplicates.
Should the mailbox be required to be rebuilt at any point, mailbox monitoring and duplicate message resolution will not run in this scenario.
- Delegate mailbox functionality operates the same as if continuity mode is inactive.
- Messages composed are transmitted directly via Mimecast. A copy of the message is populated into the Sent Items folder in Microsoft Outlook.
If the 'BCC to mail server' setting is enabled in the Mimecast Administration Console, the user will also receive a copy of the message in their Inbox. This may be disabled as required.
- Exchange rules are not applied whilst Mimecast for Outlook is in continuity mode.