The Mimecast Synchronization Engine is a Mimecast proprietary application which is installed in your environment. It enables features that provide closer integration between your Microsoft infrastructure and the Mimecast cloud. These features include:
- Active Directory Sync.
- Mailbox Folder Replication.
- Calendar Replication.
- Mailbox Storage Management.
- Exchange Managed Folders.
- Archiving Files and IMs
- Mailbox Permission Synchronization (v 4.1 or later)
Before You Begin
If you are deploying the Mimecast Synchronization Engine to support our Exchange features such as Mailbox Folder Replication, Mailbox Storage Management, or Exchange Managed Folders, ensure that your Mimecast implementation is ready for these features. Implementing these features too early can lead to avoidable user experience issues. It is important that the following services are up and running before you start:
- Journal - so that internal messages, and inbound messages sent to a distribution list are available in the Mimecast archive, and will load when selected from the Archive Folders view created by Mailbox Folder Replication. Journaling also ensures messages will be matched to the archive when the Mailbox Storage Management, or Exchange Managed Folders features process a mailbox.
- Legacy Data Ingestion - so that all messages in your users mailbox, from before the time that Journaling was enabled with Mimecast, are available in the Mimecast archive. This will ensure that messages load when selected from the Archive Folders view created by Mailbox Folder Replication, and will be matched to the archive when the Mailbox Storage Management or Exchange Managed Folders features process a mailbox.
The Mimecast Synchronization Engine can be downloaded from the Application Downloads page.
View the Admin Guides in this section to get started:
- Mimecast Synchronization Engine Requirements
- Mimecast Synchronization Engine Best Practice
- Installing / Upgrading the Mimecast Synchronization Engine
- Configuring a Mimecast Synchronization Engine Site
Once the Synchronization Engine is installed in your environment these features are configured in the Mimecast Administration Console. The availability of each feature is dependent on your Mimecast subscription.