The Mailbox Folder Replication feature is configured in the Administration Console and additionally requires the Mimecast Synchronization Engine. This guide covers the high level steps required to implement this feature.
Before you begin
Ensure that your Mimecast implementation is ready for the Mailbox Folder Replication feature. Implementing this feature too early can lead to avoidable user experience issues. It is important that the following services are up and running before you start:
- Journal: This ensures internal messages and inbound messages sent to a distribution list are available in the Mimecast archive, and load when selected from the Archive Folders view created by Mailbox Folder Replication.
- Legacy Data Ingestion: This ensures all messages in your users mailbox from before the time that Journaling was enabled with Mimecast, are available in the Mimecast archive and load when selected from the Archive Folders view created by Mailbox Folder Replication.
If a message cannot be located in the archive when selected from the Archive Folders view, the user will be sent an error message.
Install the Mimecast Synchronization Engine
- Ensure that your environment meets the requirements for the Mimecast Synchronization.
- Download the Mimecast Synchronization Engine for the Application Downloads page.
- Install the application on a server in your environment. Learn more about the installation / upgrade process here.
Prepare your Microsoft Mailbox
- The Mimecast Synchronization Engine uses a single mailbox with elevated permissions to access the mailboxes in your organization.
- This is referred to as the Microsoft Mailbox.
- The Microsoft Mailbox requires Impersonation permissions to access other mailboxes.
- Learn how to configure this for your version of Exchange / Office 365 in the Configuring Application Impersonation article.
Configure and bind your Mimecast Synchronization Engine site
When configuring your installation you need to:
- Add your Microsoft Mailbox.
- Optionally set custom connection settings if you are using a proxy server.
- Bind your installation to the Mimecast platform, so you can start configuring scheduled tasks.
These tasks are performed using the Mimecast Site Configure utility on your server. Learn more about these tasks in the Configuring a Mimecast Synchronization Engine Site guide.
Create a defintion
A definition is configured in the Administration Console and is where you define how the Mailbox Folder Replication feature runs. Learn more about creating a definition in the Configuring a Mailbox Folder Replication Definition guide.
Create a schedule
A schedule is configured in the Administration Console and is where you define when the Mailbox Folder Replication runs. Learn more about creating schedules in the Mimecast Synchronization Engine Schedules article.
Create a scheduled task
A scheduled task is configured in the Administration Console and is where your definition and schedule are applied to a group of users. Groups can either be:
- Selected from a list of group synchronized from your organization's Active Directory.
- Entered as a full DN describing an Active Directory group.
- Entered as the email address of an Exchange distribution group.
Learn more about creating scheduled tasks in the Mimecast Synchronization Engine: Exchange Tasks article.