The Exchange Managed Folders feature is configured in the Administration Console and additionally requires the Mimecast Synchronization Engine. This guide covers the high level steps required to implement this feature.
Ensure that your Mimecast implementation is ready for the Exchange Managed Folders feature. Implementing this feature too early can lead to avoidable user experience issues. It is important that the following services are up and running before you start:
- Journal - so that internal messages, and inbound messages sent to a distribution list are available in the Mimecast archive, and will be discovered when the Exchange Managed Folders feature confirms that a message is in the archive.
- Legacy Data Ingestion - so that all messages in your users mailbox from before the time that Journaling was enabled with Mimecast are available in the Mimecast archive, and will be discovered when the Exchange Managed Folders feature confirms that a message is in the archive.
If a message cannot be discovered in the archive or the mailbox being processed does not have permission to load the message, when the Exchange Managed Folders Folders feature runs it's checks, the message will not be deleted from the mailbox.
Install the Mimecast Synchronization Engine
To install the Mimecast Synchronization Engine:
- Ensure that your environment meets the requirements for the Mimecast Synchronization.
- Download the Mimecast Synchronization Engine for the Application Downloads page.
- Install the application on a server in your environment. Learn more about the installation / upgrade process here.
Prepare Your Microsoft Mailbox
To prepare your Microsoft Mailbox:
- The Mimecast Synchronization Engine uses a single mailbox with elevated permissions to access the mailboxes in your organization.
- This is referred to as the Microsoft Mailbox.
- The Microsoft Mailbox requires Impersonation permissions to access other mailboxes.
- Learn how to configure this for your version of Exchange / Office 365 in the Configuring Application Impersonation article.
Configure and Bind Your Mimecast Synchronization Engine Site
When configuring your installation you need to:
- Add your Microsoft Mailbox.
- Optionally set custom connection settings if you are using a proxy server.
- Bind your installation to the Mimecast platform, so you can start configuring scheduled tasks.
These tasks are performed using the Mimecast Site Configure utility on your server. Learn more about these tasks in the Configuring a Mimecast Synchronization Engine Site guide.
Create a Definition
A definition is configured in the Administration Console and is where you define how the Exchange Managed Folders feature runs. Learn more about creating a definition in the Configuring a Mailbox Storage Management Definition guide.
Create a Schedule
A schedule is configured in the Administration Console and is where you define when the Exchange Managed Folders feature runs. Learn more about creating schedules in the Configuring a Managed Folders definition article.
Create a Scheduled Task
A scheduled task is configured in the Administration Console and is where your definition and schedule are applied to a group of users. Groups can either be:
- Selected from a list of group synchronized from your organization's Active Directory.
- Entered as a full DN describing an Active Directory group.
- Entered as the email address of an Exchange distribution group.
Learn more about creating scheduled tasks in the Mimecast Synchronization Engine: Exchange Tasks article.