In this guide
Cloud Sync Mailbox Folder Replication captures and archives mailbox folder structure, calendar content and contacts from Exchange on-premises and Office 365 (Exchange Online) mailboxes to the Mimecast archive without the need for additional hardware or software. It all runs directly from the Mimecast platform.
End users will continue to have access to archived email and familiar mailbox folder tree across the following applications:
- Mimecast Personal Portal,
- Mimecast for Outlook,
- Mimecast Mobile
- Mimecast for Mac.
NOTE: End users will not have access to calendar and contact items at this time
The archived mailbox content will also be made available to administrators (with content view rights permission). Administrators will be able to view the content, browse and search folder structure, and will have the ability to export and restore the content.
Step 1: Check if this early adopter program is suitable for your organization
To use this feature your organization:
- Must already be archiving or retaining email for at least 58 days
- All legacy messages (messages sent or received prior to starting to archive to Mimecast) that reside in your user's mailbox's must also be archived with Mimecast. NOTE: Please speak to us for more information if you have not yet ingested legacy data and wish to participate.
Mimecast Cloud Sync supports Office 365 / Exchange Online installations, standalone Exchange installations (version 2010 or later) or hybrid combinations.
Office 365 configuration requirements
- You must follow this simple procedure in the Azure console to:
- Register Mimecast Cloud Sync as a web application
- Set up a secure trust relationship with it via a certificate provided by Mimecast
- Grant it permissions to impersonate users over EWS
Standalone Exchange configuration requirements
- You must allow inbound HTTPS access from Mimecast to your organization’s Client Access Server (/ews/exchange.asmx)
- You must also share the credentials of a master mailbox with the Application Impersonation management role with Mimecast.
Already using this feature with the Mimecast Synchronization Engine?
If your organization is already using this feature with the Mimecast Synchronization Engine you can upgrade to the cloud sync model at any time without impacting your existing Archive Folder views.
Mimecast will support you though the migration process but please be aware of the following:
- The first time a user is migrated to this platform the service will sync the meta data of all messages and folders in the mailbox.
- When a user is switched from Mailbox Folder Replication using the Mimecast Synchronization Engine to the cloud to cloud model there is no roll back path. When testing, we recommend that you use test mailboxes to start with.
You do not have to migrate all users at once but any data submissions from the Mimecast Synchronization Engine for a migrated user will be ignored.
Step 2: Register your interest
Once you have verified that your organization is suitable for this program, if you have not done so already, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your customer name and contact details and a member of the team will be in contact to organize our standard BETA agreement with you.
Step 3: Prepare your organization
This feature requires impersonation rights to the your organization's mailboxes in order to extract the folder tree and message metadata required to construct the Archive Folders view.
If you are using Exchange on-premises please follow the Configuring Application Impersonation guide for your version of Exchange. You will need to provide Mimecast with the credentials of the mailbox you choose to grant this permission to.
If you are using Office 365 please follow the Creating an Office 365 association for Server Connections guide.
Getting Support and submitting feedback
As an early adopter program this feature is not supported by our global service delivery teams. To report an issue, ask a question, or submit some feedback please start a discussion in the Betas place, using the link found in the Actions widget on the right hand side of the page.