Mimecast uses an administrator-defined user attribute to dictate the SMS number to send to, configured through the SMS Services Dashboard. Once an attribute is assigned, you're ready to configure other services that use SMS. View the Managing Attributes page for more information.
SMS Continuity Benefits
Mimecast SMS Services offers the following customer benefits with continuity notifications:
- Keeps users informed at the start and end of planned and unplanned email outages.
- Advises users which Mimecast applications to use during a continuity event, in order to maintain productivity.
- Reduces help desk calls as a result of lack of communication.
Number Format Considerations
Before you assign an attribute to use for SMS, consider the format that you currently store cell phone numbers in. For SMS delivery, we require the cell phone numbers to be stored in "long format". This means including the country code, and with no leading zeroes. If you use a specific format for cell phone numbers on your stationery, you may wish to set and use another attribute with the correctly formatted number for SMS purposes.
For more information, see the "Verifying Numbers" section on the SMS Services Dashboard page.
Setting the SMS Attribute
To set the SMS attribute:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration toolbar button. A menu drop down is displayed.
- Click on the Services | SMS Dashboard menu item.You can also see the defined attribute in the System Notification Options section of the Administration | Account | Account Settings menu item.
- Click on the Change Attribute button.
- Click on the Lookup button to select and confirm the required attribute.
- Click on the Save and Exit button.
SMS Continuity Notifications
You can use the SMS service to send a custom alert to a specific group of users at the start and end of a continuity event. This type of SMS program is called a recurring program and requires users to opt-in before we are able to send them a message. For details on the opt-in process, see the Subscribing to SMS User Continuity Notifications page.
View the Creating a Continuity Event page for further information.
Password Reset SMS Program
We can use the SMS service to send a one-time verification code to a user for authentication purposes, allowing them to proceed with the reset program. This SMS program sends a message to the number assigned to the SMS attribute for the user.
We'll never send unsolicited messages, marketing, or promotional messages to users mobile phones. Additionally we'll only send one verification code per end user request. Message and data rates may apply.
Enabling Password Reset Via SMS
It's possible to allow users to reset their password via SMS, by configuring the associated authentication profile. Change the ‘Password Reset Options’ to the desired setting.
Resetting Your Password Via SMS
To reset your password via SMS:
- Open Mimecast Personal Portal.
- Enter your Primary Email Address.
- Click on the Reset Cloud Password button.
- Type the Captcha exactly as it is displayed.
- Click the Reset Password button.
- Select SMS in the Reset Code Delivery Method field.Depending on your authentication profile configuration, you may not be able to select any other value.
- Click the Next button. You'll receive a verification code from us via SMS.
- Enter the Verification Code.
- Click the Continue button.
- Enter a new password and confirm it by retyping it in the required field. This password must conform to the password complexity policy displayed.
- Click the Confirm button. The password is saved and can be used to log in.