Depending on your Mimecast subscription, you may have access to Mimecast SMS Services. This extends some Mimecast capabilities for use with the Short Message Service (SMS) text features available to mobile cell phones.
Mimecast uses an administrator defined user attribute, assigned through the SMS Services Dashboard, to dictate the SMS number to send to. Once you've assigned an attribute, you're ready to configure other services that use SMS.
For more information on attributes, see the Managing Attributes page.
Number Format Considerations
Before you assign an attribute to use for SMS, consider the format that you currently store cell phone numbers in. For SMS delivery, we require the cell phone numbers to be stored in "long format"’. This means including the country code, and with no leading zeroes. If you use a specific format for cell phone numbers on your stationery, you may wish to set and use another attribute with the correctly formatted number for SMS purposes.
For more information, see the number verification section on the SMS Services Dashboard page.
Setting the SMS Attribute
To set the SMS attribute:
- Log in to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration toolbar button. A menu drop down is displayed.
- Click on the Services | SMS Dashboard menu item.You can also see the defined attribute in the System Notification Options section of the Administration | Account | Account Settings menu item.
- Click on the Change Attribute button.
- Click on the Lookup button to select and confirm the required attribute.
- Click on the Save and Exit button.
SMS Continuity Notifications
You can use the SMS service to send a custom alert a specific group of users at the start and at the end of a continuity event. This type of SMS program is called a recurring program and requires users to opt in before we are able to send them a message. For details on the opt in process, see the Subscribing to SMS User Continuity Notifications page. For information on creating a continuity event, see Creating a Continuity Event.
Password Reset SMS Program
We can use the SMS service to send a one time verification code to a user for authentication purposes, allowing them to proceed with the reset program. This SMS program sends a message to the number assigned to the SMS attribute for the user.
We'll never send unsolicited messages, marketing, or promotional messages to your cell phone. Additionally we'll only send one verification code per end user request. Message and data rates may apply.
Enabling Password Reset Via SMS
Users can be allowed to use the password reset function, by configuring the associated authentication profile. Change the ‘Password Reset Options’ to the desired setting.
Resetting Your Password Via SMS
To reset your password via SMS:
- Open Mimecast Personal Portal.
- Enter your Primary Email Address.
- Click on the Reset Cloud Password button.
- Type the Captcha exactly as it is displayed.
- Click the Reset Password button.
- Select SMS in the Reset Code Delivery Method field.Depending on your authentication profile configuration, you may not be able to select any other value.
- Click the Next button. You'll receive a verification code from us via SMS.
- Enter the Verification Code.
- Click the Continue button.
- Enter a new password and confirm it by retyping it in the required field. This password must conform to the password complexity policy displayed.
- Click the Confirm button. The password is saved, and can be used to log in.