The Accepted Email queue displays messages that have been accepted by us, but haven't been archived yet. Messages remain here until they've been compressed, encrypted, and indexed. Once this is complete, they're moved to the Mimecast Archive. Before the message is archived, administrators can access the message metadata and SMTP transmission information, but complex searches aren't available until the message is archived. Alternatively a message can remain in the Accepted Emails queue until it reaches it is either successfully delivered or bounced, which can take several hours.
Some examples of messages you'll find in Accepted Email queue are those:
- In the Hold Review Queue that hasn't been reviewed and released.
- In the Delivery Queue on retry that hasn't been delivered to the recipient.
Accessing Accepted Messages
To access your accepted messages:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration toolbar button.
- Click on the Gateway | Accepted Email menu item. All active emails for the account are listed (inbound, outbound, and internal) and display the following information:
- From Address: Displays the sender's email address.
- To Address: Displays the recipient's email address.
- Subject: Displays the message's subject.
- Mail Flow Direction: One of the following icons is displayed:
- Attachments: If the message contains any attachments, an icon is displayed.
- Message Size: Displays the message's total size, including any attachments.
- Date: Displays the date and time that the message was sent.
- Message Status: Indicates the message's status by one of the following icons:
- Delivery is pending due to either being held or being re-tried for delivery.
- We've successfully delivered the message either via a routing rule (inbound), MX resolution (outbound), or journaling (internal). The message is currently being processed into its final state in the archive.
- The message has been uploaded to Mimecast from the customer's mail server using a Journal Connector, but is being processed into its final state in the archive.
- The message has failed delivery and has been bounced.
Filtering / Searching for Accepted Messages
With the list of accepted messages displayed, you can narrow down the displayed results. You can do this by:>
- Filtering on a message's status, direction or size.
- Searching for text (e.g. an email address, domain, or subject).
To filter the accepted messages, click on the View button and select one of the following:
To search for accepted messages:
- Type some text into the Search field.
- Click on one of the following options:
- Subject, From Address & To Address (default option)
- From Address
- To Address
- Change the Date and Time range as required.By default, accepted messages are only displayed for the current day.
- Press Enter.
Viewing Accepted Messages / Metadata
You can open a message from the displayed list, but the details shown depend on the permissions you have. The full content of the message is displayed to Administrators. Only the headers of a message are displayed to everyone else.
- Click on a Message. The message's content displays.
- Click on the View button.
- Click on either the:
- View Transmission Body menu item to display the message body, and dates and times of the transmission.
- View Transmission Data to display the email servers and message components involved in the transmission. This helps to verify the message's delivery status.
- View Email Policies to view general metadata information and the policies considered during the message's transmission.
- View HTML Body / Plain Text Body to view the email header information and message body in HTML or Plain Text.
- Optionally click on Show Receipt or Show Delivery to toggle the display between receipt and delivery views.
The above message information is useful when troubleshooting what happened to a message, or why it was handled in a certain way. For example, if you've multiple signatures in your environment and want to see why a message has a certain signature appended, you can review which policies were applied, and troubleshoot the Stationery Assignment policies as required.
Exporting Accepted Messages
To export accepted messages:
- Click on the Export Data button.
- Check the Columns you want to include.
- Select a File Format.
- Select a Export Option:
- Download: Downloads the file to your desktop.
- Send Mail: Mail the file to your account email.
- Click on the Export button.
Forwarding Accepted Messages
To forward accepted messages:
- Check the box for the message/s you want to forward.
- Click on the Forward Selected Items button. An email dialog displays.
- Enter the Email Address where you want to forward the messages.
- Optionally click on Add Attachment or Remove Attachment to add or remove a file.
- Click on the Send button. A confirmation dialog is displayed to confirm the message was accepted for delivery.
- Click OK to close the dialog.