One of the Mimecast implementation steps is to direct all outbound email via Mimecast. This requires an SMTP Connector to be configured on your Exchange Server. Prior to Mimecast accepting outbound emails, the Authorized IP Address where emails will be sent from must be added to your Mimecast account.
Setting Up an SMTP Connector
To set up an SMTP Connector, follow the steps on Microsoft's website, depending on your Exchange:
- Exchange 2016: Create an SMTP Send Connector
- Exchange 2013: Create an SMTP Send Connector
- Exchange 2010: Create an SMTP Send Connector
When prompted in the Microsoft guide, select the Route mail through smart hosts option and then click + Add. In the Add smart host dialog that displays, enter the Mimecast smart host IP for your region as below:
Verifying the Connection
To confirm that outbound mail is flowing:
- Send an outbound email to an external email address.
- Log on to the Mimecast Administration Console.
- Navigate to Administration | Gateway | Accepted Email.
- Refresh the screen until you can see the details of the test email you have sent.