Mimecast Web Security guards against malicious activity initiated by user action, or by malware at the server level or front line layer of the web. It provides strong security protection and monitoring capabilities for organizations, by blocking access to business inappropriate websites based on configured policies and features. When combined with our Secure Email Gateway and Targeted Threat Protection services, Mimecast Web Security offers a single, cloud-based utility that protects against the two dominant cyber attack vectors: email and the web.
Mimecast Web Security offers the following features and benefits:
- Lightweight security at the domain layer stops threats before they reach your network, improving your organization's overall protection.
- Easily configured via the Administration Console, with additional tools to manage and deploy adjustments on an ongoing basis.
- Consistent application of policies, such as integration with Targeted Threat Protection - URL Protect, offering in-depth defense across email and web.
- Consolidated reporting with a high degree of visibility into real-time web usage and security risks, via activity logs and dashboard analytics.
- Protection of user's devices whilst they are on or off the corporate network (e.g. roaming or using public Wi-Fi).
Network - Using DNS Forwarders
- Protection for all devices and services connected to the corporate network.
- Easy to configure.
- Policy application based on location (office / server / gateway IP).
See Mimecast Web Security: Configuring Your DNS Forwarders / Gateway for details.
Mimecast Security Agent
- Protects user devices whilst they're on or off the corporate network (e.g. roaming or using public Wi-Fi).
- Removes the need to deploy a Mimecast certificate to view our block and warning pages for sites using SSL certificate (https://.
- Automatically identifies users for better reporting capabilities and granular policy application based on users (SMTP Address), groups, or domains.
- Optionally users can log onto the agent to if they are not a domain user
- Allows administrators to easily track user activity in their organization via reporting.
See Mimecast Security Agent Overview for details.
Network - Using DNS Forwarders and Mimecast Security Agent
Combining these two methods ensures you've total protection on and off your network.
- Check you've the prerequisites required for both network and device protection. See the Mimecast Web Security: Prerequisites page for full details.
- Create the exceptions for your trusted domains and IPs, so they bypass the Mimecast Web Security functionality. See the Mimecast Web Security: Managing Exceptions page for full details.
- Define the rules to be applied to user activity in an organization's environment, at the server level or front line layer of the web. See the Mimecast Web Security: Managing a Policy page for full details.
- Consider installing the Mimecast Security Agent. See the Mimecast Security Agent Overview page for full details.
- Define your corporate locations as the egress IP address of a network. See the Mimecast Web Security: Configuring Locations page for full details.
- Install and verify a Mimecast SSL Certificate, to enable you to display block and warning pages for sites using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). See the Mimecast Web Security: Managing the Mimecast Certificate page for full details.
- Configure your DNS Forwarders or gateway to use the Mimecast servers. See the Mimecast Web Security: Configuring Your Gateway page for full details.
See the following pages for details of how to track user and security activity in your organization: