This guide describes how the Mimecast Security Agent settings are configured from the Administration Console, to protect user's devices while they aren't connected to your corporate network (e.g. using a public wi-fi hotspot).
To protect each device, you must:
- Configuring the security agent's settings.
- Create a key to be added to the installation.
- Download the security agent installer.
Configuring the Security Agent's Settings
To configure the security agent's settings:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration menu item. A drop down menu displays.
- Click on the Web Security | Agent Settings menu item. The Mimecast Security Agent dialog displays.
- Click on the Settings tab.
- Enable / disable the following Authentication options:
Field / Option Default Value Description User Authentication Enabled If enabled users can authenticate to the security agent using their domain logon credentials, although they don't have to unless the "Enforce User Authentication" option is also enabled. If users are authenticated:
- Their activity and is logged and reported.
- User level policies are applied to their logon.
Enforce User Authentication Disabled If enabled, users are prompted to authenticate their logons after the security agent is installed.
It is recomended this option is enabled if you've multiple usres sharing the same machine.
Manage Updates Disabled If enabled, users can check for updates to the security agent, and if one is available, install it on their devices.
- The Disabler Password section can be used to copy and generate a password for a user to disable (but not uninstall) the Mimecast Security Agent on their device. We recommend generating a new password once the user has used the password you've provided to them.
Field / Option Description Current Password These fields display the current and previous disable passwords. By default, the fields have their values hidden from view, but can be displayed by clicking on the eye icon to the right of the field. Previous Password Copy Password Click on this button to copy the current disable password to your clipboard. Generate Password Click on this button to create a disable password. The new password value is displayed in the Current Password field, and the old password value is displayed in the Previous Password field.
- The Uninstaller Password section can be used to copy and generate a password to be used when uninstalling the Mimecast Security Agent on a user's device. We do not recommend sharing this password with users.
Field / Option Description Current Password This field display the current uninstall password. By default, the field has it's value hidden from view, but can be displayed by clicking on the eye icon to the right of the field. Copy Password Click on this button to copy the password to your clipboard. Generate Password Click on this button to create an uninstall password. The new password value is displayed in the Current Password field.
Creating a Security Agent Key
To create a security agent authentication key:
- Click on the Installation tab.
- Click on the Create Key button.
- With the key displayed, you can click on the:
- Copy Key button to copy the key to your clipboard.
- Download Key button to download the key to your browser's download location with a file name of "CustomerKey".
- Delete Key button to delete the key. If this action is performed, a confirmation dialog is displayed. Click on the Delete button to confirm.
Installing the Mimecast Security Agent
With the security agent settings configured and the security agent authentication key created, you can install the Mimecast Security Agent software. There are separate installation guides for Windows OS and Mac OS. In addition, these guides outline how to:
- Test policy blocking.
- View diagnostic information.
- Enable / disable the security agent.