This guide describes how the Mimecast Security Agent settings are configured from the Administration Console, to protect user's devices while they aren't connected to your corporate network (e.g. using a public wifi hotspot).
To protect each device, you must:
- Configuring the security agent's settings.
- Create a key to be added to the installation.
- Download the security agent installer.
Configuring the Security Agent's Settings
To configure the security agent's settings:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration menu item. A drop down menu displays.
- Click on the Web Security | Agent Settings menu item. The Mimecast Security Agent dialog displays.
- Click on the Settings tab.
- Enable / Disable the following options:
Field / Option Default Value Description User Authentication Enabled If enabled, users authenticate to the security agent using their domain login credentials Enforce User Authentication Disabled If enabled, users are prompted to authenticate their logons after the security agent is installed. Manage Updates Disabled If enabled, users can check for updates to the security agent, and if one is available, install it on their devices.
- The Tamper Protection section can be used to generate a password that must be entered to allow changes to be made to the security agent's configuration. Complete the section as follows:
Field / Option Description Generate Password Click on this button to create a password. If there's already a password, the new value is placed in the Current Password field, and the old value is placed in the Previous Password field. Copy Password Click on this button to copy the current password to your clipboard. Current Password These fields display the current and previous passwords used for tamper protection. By default, both fields have their values hidden from view, but can be displayed by clicking on the eye icon to the right of the field. Previous Password
Creating a Security Agent Key
To create a security agent authentication key:
- Click on the Installation tab.
- Click on the Create Key button.
- With the key displayed, you can click on the:
- Copy Key button to copy the key to your clipboard.
- Download Key button to download the key to your browser's download location with a file name of "CustomerKey".
- Delete Key button to delete the key. If this action is performed, a confirmation dialog is displayed. Click on the Delete button to confirm.
If your security agent key is deleted, the key's installation is removed meaning that a new key must be created and distributed to all previously protected devices.
Installing the Mimecast Security Agent
With the security agent settings configured and the security agent authentication key created, you can install the Mimecast Security Agent software. There are separate installation guides for Windows OS and Mac OS. In addition, these guides outline how to:
- Test policy blocking.
- View diagnostic information.
- Enable / disable the security agent.