Content Preservation policies decrease the retention period of messages in the archive, to a value less than your Maximum Account Retention setting. Message content that matches a Content Preservation policy is purged from the archive on reaching the preservation time specified.
There are two versions of the policy, the only difference between them being the length of time that messages are stored:
- Content Preservation (Days): Specifies the number of days that message content is stored in the archive.
- Content Preservation (Minutes): Specifies the number of minutes that message content is stored in the archive.
Consider the following before configuring a policy:
- Content Preservation policies only affect the content of a message (e.g. body, attachments).
- A message is not archived if it has a retention period of three days or less. Instead it remains in the Accepted Messages queue until it expires.
- Message retention can be adjusted using Retention Adjustments.
- Content Preservation (Minutes) policies are applied after indexing is complete. For example if a policy is configured to purge data after five minutes but indexing is not complete, the data is purged five minutes after indexing finishes.
Configuring a Content Preservation (Days or Minutes) Policy
To configure a Content Preservation Days / Minutes policy:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration menu item. A menu drop down is displayed.
- Click on the Gateway | Policies menu item.
- Either select:
- Content Preservation (Days) to configure a Days policy.
- Content Preservation (Minutes) to configure a Minutes policy.
- Either select the:
- Policy to be changed.
- New Policy button to create a policy.
- Complete the Options section as required:
Field / Option Description Policy Narrative Provide a description for the policy to allow you to easily identify it in the future. Preservation Time Days / Minutes
Specify the number of days / minutes that the content of the message is to be stored in the archive. This policy cannot override the maximum Account Retention period, and can only be used for a subset of users.
- Complete the Emails From and Emails To sections as required:
Field / Option Description Addresses Based On Specify the email address characteristics the policy is based on. This option is only available in the "Emails From" section. The options are: Option Description The Return Address (Mail Envelope From) This default setting applies the policy to the SMTP address match, based on the message's envelope or true address (i.e. the address used during SMTP transmission). The Message From Address (Message Header From) Applies the policy based on the masked address used in the message's header. Both Applies the policy based on either the Mail Envelope From or the Message Header From whichever matches. When both match, the specified value the Message Header From will be used. Applies From / To Specify the Sender characteristics the policy is based on. For multiple policies, you should apply them from the most to least specific. The options are: Option Description Everyone Includes all email users (i.e. internal and external). This option is only available in the "Emails From" section. Internal Address Includes only internal organization addresses. External Address Includes only external organization addresses. This option is only available in the "Emails From" section. Email Domain Enables you to specify a domain name to which this policy is applied. The domain name is entered in the Specifically field. Address Groups Enables you to specify a directory or local group. If this option is selected, click on the Lookup button to select a group from the Profile Group field. Once a group has been selected, you can click on the Show Location field to display the group's path. Address Attributes Enables you to specify a predefined Attribute. The attribute is selected from the Where Attribute drop down list. Once the Attribute is specified, an attribute value must be entered in the Is Equal To field. This can only be used if attributes have been configured for user accounts. Individual Email Address Enables you to specify an SMTP address. The email address is entered in the Specifically field.
- Complete the Validity section as required:
Field / Option Description Enable / Disable Use this to enable (default) or disable a policy. If a date range has been specified, the policy will automatically be disabled when the end of the configured date range is reached. Set Policy as Perpetual If the policy's date range has no end date, this field displays "Always On" meaning that the policy never expires. Date Range Use this field to specify a start and / or end date for the policy. If the Eternal option are selected, no date is required. Policy Override This overrides the default order that policies are applied. If there are multiple applicable policies, this policy is applied first unless more specific policies of the same type are configured with an override. Bi-Directional If selected the policy is applied when the policy's recipient is the sender, and the sender is the recipient. Source IP Ranges (n.n.n.n/x) Enter any required Source IP Ranges for the policy. These only apply if the source IP address used to transmit the message data, falls inside or matches the range(s) configured. IP ranges should be entered in CIDR notation.
- Click on the Save and Exit button.