In certain scenarios, you may require that messages to and from a specific email addresses are not delivered to the original recipient, but instead delivered to an alternate address. Using a Forwarding Address policy, the envelope address is re-written and the message is delivered to the forwarding address only.
Consider the following before getting started:
- The Forwarding Address policy can alter the destination address for a particular mail flow. You can choose to have mail delivered to the original recipient in addition to the alternative address.
- The forwarding address must be an existing valid email address (internal or external). We will determine whether the new recipient (forwarding address) is internal or external, and deliver the message to this address. Any policy match will override the default delivery route.
- Details regarding the original recipient and the forwarded recipient are retained in the email headers, which can be accessed using an archive search.
- Forwarded emails are still processed by our security systems, including content, spam, and virus checks.
- Message contents are archived normally, according to your account retention period.
Configuring a Forwarding Address Definition
To configure a Forwarding Address definition:
- Open the Gateway Policy Editor.
- Select the Definitions drop down. A list of the definition types is displayed.
- Select the Forwarding Address definition type from the list. The list of definitions is displayed.
- Select the New Definition button to add a new definition.
- Complete the Forwarding Address definition as follows:
Option Description Policy Narrative Provide a description for the policy to allow you to easily identify it in the future. Forwarding Address Use the Lookup button to select the address that you want emails to be directed to. This must be a valid email address. Original Recipient When enabled the forwarded item will also be delivered to the original recipient.
6. Click on the Save and Exit button.
Configuring a Forwarding Address Policy
To configure a Forwarding Address policy:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration menu item. A menu drop down is displayed.
- Click on the Gateway | Policies menu item.
- Click on Forwarding Address. A list of policies is displayed.
- Either select the:
- Policy to be changed.
- New Policy button to create a policy.
- Complete the Options section as required:
Option Description Policy Narrative Provide a description for the policy to allow you to easily identify it in the future. Forwarding Address Definition
Click on the button to display a list of Forwarding Address definitions. Click on the link to the left of the definition to be applied when this policy is triggered.
- Complete the Emails From and Emails To sections as required:
Field / Option Description Addresses Based On Specify the email address characteristics the policy is based on. This option is only available in the "Emails From" section. The options are: Option Description The Return Address (Mail Envelope From) This default setting applies the policy to the SMTP address match, based on the message's envelope or true address (i.e. the address used during SMTP transmission). The Message From Address (Message Header From) Applies the policy based on the masked address used in the message's header. Both Applies the policy based on either the Mail Envelope From or the Message Header From whichever matches. When both match, the specified value the Message Header From will be used. Applies From / To Specify the Sender characteristics the policy is based on. For multiple policies, you should apply them from the most to least specific. The options are: Option Description Everyone Includes all email users (i.e. internal and external). This option is only available in the "Emails From" section. Internal Address Includes only internal organization addresses. External Address Includes only external organization addresses. This option is only available in the "Emails From" section. Email Domain Enables you to specify a domain name to which this policy is applied. The domain name is entered in the Specifically field. Address Groups Enables you to specify a directory or local group. If this option is selected, click on the Lookup button to select a group from the Profile Group field. Once a group has been selected, you can click on the Show Location field to display the group's path. Address Attributes Enables you to specify a predefined Attribute. The attribute is selected from the Where Attribute drop down list. Once the Attribute is specified, an attribute value must be entered in the Is Equal To field. This can only be used if attributes have been configured for user accounts. Individual Email Address Enables you to specify an SMTP address. The email address is entered in the Specifically field.
- Complete the Validity section as required:
Field / Option Description Enable / Disable Use this to enable (default) or disable a policy. If a date range has been specified, the policy will automatically be disabled when the end of the configured date range is reached. Set Policy as Perpetual If the policy's date range has no end date, this field displays "Always On" meaning that the policy never expires. Date Range Use this field to specify a start and / or end date for the policy. If the Eternal option are selected, no date is required. Policy Override This overrides the default order that policies are applied. If there are multiple applicable policies, this policy is applied first unless more specific policies of the same type are configured with an override. Bi-Directional If selected the policy is applied when the policy's recipient is the sender, and the sender is the recipient. Source IP Ranges (n.n.n.n/x) Enter any required Source IP Ranges for the policy. These only apply if the source IP address used to transmit the message data, falls inside or matches the range(s) configured. IP ranges should be entered in CIDR notation.
- Click on the Save and Exit button.