Setting Up User Authentication
All users must authenticate their logons when they use our applications. There are different methods by which they can do this, depending on the type of Exchange you are using.
To set up user authentication:
- Click on the Platform | Set Up User Authentication menu item.
- Depending on the synchronization method you want to use, click either the:
- Start button in the section for your Exchange type (i.e. Office 365 / On Premise / Hybrid).
- Use Cloud Authentication Only button if you prefer to authenticate with the Mimecast Cloud.
- Follow the instructions listed in the relevant sections and links below.
- Administrators and end users use their primary email address and familiar domain password to log on to Mimecast.
- All password complexity and expiry policies are maintained centrally in Office 365, thereby reducing the administrative overhead of managing these across multiple platforms.
To configure Office 365 EWS as your authentication provider, complete the Domain Authentication Test dialog by:
- Entering your Office 365 Domain Email address and Domain Password in the required fields.
- Click on the Test Authentication button. A message is displayed if authentication is successful.
- Click the Enable button. A summary page displays the following notification to confirm configuration:
On Premise / Hybrid / MSP
If you are using either an On Premise or Hybrid Exchange, you can use one of the following authentication providers:
You can choose to use Mimecast's Cloud Authentication only by selecting this option. This offers the following benefits:
- Your organization can manage and use specific Mimecast passwords when accessing our applications.
- Administrators can control and define password complexity and expiration in the Mimecast Administration Console.
- Authentication Profiles can be configured to apply specific application settings to groups of users.
To configure cloud authentication as your authentication provider:
- Set cloud passwords either via the Add Users Manually task, or the Administration Console. See the Enable Mimecast Cloud Authentication page for further information.
- When you're ready, click the Use Cloud Authentication Only button in the Connect Application. A summary page is displayed with the following notification to confirm configuration: