This guide describes how to either:
- Install the Mimecast Synchronization Engine v3 or later.
- Upgrade an older Mimecast Synchronization Engine version to version 3.x or later.
Installing the Mimecast Synchronization Engine
To install the Mimecast Synchronization Engine:
- Download the Mimecast Synchronization Engine installer from the Application Downloads page.
- Run the .EXE file to start the installation wizard. A welcome page is displayed.
- Click Next to proceed with the installation.
- Read the End User License Agreement.
- Click the I accept the terms of the License Agreement option.
- Click the Next button. The installer checks that all required components are present on the host.
- Click the Next button.
- If required, change the default path for State Files and Logs folders. This can only be performed during a clean installation.
- Click the Install button. The installation starts.
- Click the Finish button once the installation is complete. You don't have to reboot the host server.The installer creates a log file in the same directory as the .EXE file. This file is useful to troubleshoot failed installations.
If any of the required component(s) are shown with a red X, make a note of the name and version of any missing component(s) and follow the process below:
- Close the installation wizard.
- Install the required component(s).
- Restart the installation wizard.
Upgrading the Mimecast Synchronization Engine
When upgrading an older Mimecast Synchronization Engine version, the following must be considered:
- If upgrading a Mimecast Synchronization Engine version 2.9.x or later, the latest version can be installed over the top of your current installation. You don't need to uninstall the older version first. Follow the instructions in the "Installing the Mimecast Synchronization Engine" above.
- The default path for state files (task data) and logs folders cannot be changed during an upgrade. To change the default path for these folders, a fresh install is required. Uninstall the existing installation, and follow the instructions in the "Installing the Mimecast Synchronization Engine" section above.
- Upgrading from Mimecast Synchronization Engine versions earlier than 2.9.x are not supported. If you're upgrading from one of these legacy versions, uninstall the existing installation, and follow the instructions in the "Installing the Mimecast Synchronization Engine" section above.
- Configuration keys provided to override default behavior must be verified with Mimecast Support. This ensures they are still supported prior to upgrading.
Installation / Upgrade Changes
Following an installation or upgrade, the following can be observed on the server:
- A Mimecast Synchronization Engine Windows service has been installed.
- The Mimecast Synchronization Engine service is configured to run under the NETWORK SERVICE security context.
- The folders listed below are created:
Folder Default Location Mimecast Synchronization Engine %systemdrive%:\Program FilesThe folder's location cannot be changed. Logs %programdata%\Mimecast Synchronization Engine State %programdata%\Mimecast Synchronization Engine Temp %programdata%\Mimecast Synchronization EngineThe folder's location cannot be changed.
Following an upgrade the following behavior should be observed for each feature:
|Mimecast Synchronization Engine service||Service is shown as running in the Windows Services MMC.|
|Cloud Archive for Lync IM||Tasks run as normal and continue with diff syncs.|
|Cloud Archive for Files||Tasks run as normal and continue with diff syncs.|
|Calendar Replication||Tasks run as normal and continue with diff syncs.|
|Archive Power Tools: Mailbox Folder Replication||Tasks run as normal and continue with diff syncs.|
|Archive Power Tools: Exchange Managed Folders||Tasks run as normal.|
|Archive Power Tools: Mailbox Storage Management||Tasks run as normal.|
|Active Directory Synchronization||Task runs as normal.|