This guide provides an overview of the Sync &Recover functionality. This is available from the administration console, for those accounts that have it enabled on their account.
- Administrators responsible for backing up and restoring their user's data.
Once setup, synchronization starts automatically multiple times throughout the day. There is no exact synchronization timing, as each user's mailbox synchronization is balanced across that period. This prevents any undue server performance issues caused by everyone's mailbox being synchronized at once.
Once archived, a user's data is accessible to administrators with the appropriate permissions. They can:
- Browse and search folder structure.
- View the content.
- Export and restore the content (if this functionality is enabled on your account).
- A Mimecast Synchronization Engine Exchange Services installation is required to have calendars available for continuity purposes.
- To manage a task's details, your logon must have permission to use the following menu items:
- Services | Exchange Sync and Recover
- Archive | Archive SearchSee the Managing Administrator Roles page for further details.
To use Sync and Recover:
- You must be archiving or retaining email for at least 58 days.
- Legacy messages in your user mailboxes (e.g. those sent / received prior to archiving with us) must be archived with us.Speak to us if you've not yet ingested legacy data.
- Create a Server Connection.
Standalone Exchange Requirements
If you're using a standalone exchange, the following requirements apply. You must:
- Allow inbound HTTPS access from us to your organization’s Client Access Server (/ews/exchange.asmx).
- Share your master mailbox's credentials with the Application Impersonation management role with us.
- Allow us to extract the folder tree and message metadata, by configuring impersonation rights to your organization's mailboxes. This requires you to provide us with the mailbox credentials of the user you wish us to use. See the Configuring Application Impersonation guide for your version of Exchange for full details.
Office 365 Requirements
If you're using Office 365, the following requirements apply. You must:
- Create an Office 365 Association for Server Connections to:
- Register Sync and Recover as a web application.
- Set up a secure trust relationship via a certificate provided by us.
- Grant permissions to impersonate users over EWS.
Using Mimecast Synchronization Engine
If your'e currently syncing and recovering by using the Mimecast Synchronization Engine, you can upgrade to this method without impacting your existing archive folder views. We will support you though the migration process, but be aware of the following:
- The first time a user is migrated to this platform, the service will synchronize the meta data of all messages and folders in the mailbox.
- When a user is switched from mailbox folder replication using the Mimecast Synchronization Engine, there is no roll back path.
- You don't have to migrate all users at once, but any data submissions from the Mimecast Synchronization Engine for a migrated user are ignored.