A regular expression (regex or regexp) is a sequence of characters, that can be used to search for text strings or combinations of the regex within larger text. Multiple Regular Expressions can be added to a Content Examination definition, used to search for matching text within scanned mail. If we detect the regex in a message, the action specified in the definition is taken.
Adding a Regular Expression to a Definition
To add a regular expression to a definition:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration menu item. A menu drop down is displayed.
- Click on the Gateway | Policies menu item.
- Hover over the Definitions button. A list of the definition types is displayed.
- Click on the Content Examinations definition type from the list. The list of definitions is displayed.
- Either click on the:
- Definition to be changed.
- New Content Definition button.
- Click on the Insert button.
- Click on the Regular Expression menu item.
- Complete the Policy Definition dialog as follows:
Field / Option Description Line Score Specify a regular expression value, that is compared to the "Activation Score" in the definition. Append If selected, the reference dictionary is placed at the bottom of the "Word / Phrase Match List". If unselected, it is placed at the top of the list. Regular Expression Add the Regular Expression. The Mimecast Support team can help building regular expressions if required. Comment Add any notes that refer to the regular expression. These are only displayed in the "Word / Phrase Match List" field prefixed by a hash symbol (#). All comments are ignored when examining messages for matches.
- Click on the Save and Exit button.
- Repeat steps 7 - 10 to add any additional regular expressions to the definition.