Message Tracking allows administrators to search across multiple queues using specific message information. The results provide information on a message's processing, as well as its current state (e.g. if it was subjected to greylisting, but subsequently accepted and archived). This is useful for troubleshooting message delivery, such as when a user inquires why a message didn't arrive or was delayed (either inbound or outbound).
Message Tracking offers two methods of searching for messages:
- Search by Data: This is the default method and is better suited for search requests where only certain message details are known.
- Search by ID: This method is better suited for a more targeted search where specific message details are known.
The following viewers and queues are searched:
- Connections Attempts
- Bounce Viewer
- Rejection Viewer
- Delivery Queue
- Hold Review Queue
- Active Messages
- Archived Messages
If you have an Ad Blocker enabled on your web browser, make an exception for the Administration Console URL or disable the Ad Blocker to always view search results.
Accessing Message Tracking
To access Message Tracking:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Select the Administration menu item.
- Select the Message Center | Message Tracking menu item.
- The Message Center displays, with the Search by Data tab displayed by default.
- Select the Search by ID tab if you want to perform a more targeted search.
- Provide as much information as you can in the following fields. The "Search by Data" and "Search by ID" columns denote the available fields in each tab.
Field / Option Search by Data Search by ID Description From Y N Enter a sender's email address (e.g. user or email@example.com) or domain (e.g. domain or domain.com). To Y N Enter a recipient's email address (e.g. user or firstname.lastname@example.org) or domain (e.g. domain or domain.com). Date Range Y Y Select a search date range from the drop down list. If a custom date range is specified, you can't search back more than 30 days. Subject Y N Enter a message's subject. These fields aren't displayed by default. Click on the Show More link to display them. Sender IP Address Y N Enter a sender's IP address. Message ID N Y Enter a message's ID.
- Click on the Search button. Your results display.
- If the "Enforce Archive Search Reason" setting is enabled in your Account Settings, a popup message is displayed.
- Enter a Search Reason.
- Click on the Submit and search button to continue.
Viewing Message Details
Message tracking provides detailed message information, allowing administrators to analyze the current status and transmission history of a message in depth. Click on any message from your search results and a Message Details panel is displayed.
You can change the views on display and utilize additional message features, as outlined below:
|Received View (Sender) / Delivered View (Recipient)||Click on the drop down arrow to switch the display to show either the recipient (Delivery View) or the sender (Received View) message details.|
|Permit for Recipient (Delivered View only)||Adds the sender of the message to the recipients permitted senders list. See Managing an End User's Managed Senders List for more details.|
|Block for Recipient (Delivered View only)||Adds the sender of the message to the recipients blocked senders list. See Managing an End User's Managed Senders List for more details.|
|Report||Click on the down arrow to report the message as spam, malware, or phishing. The feedback is sent to our security team for analysis.|
|Forward / Print||Click on the three-dot icon and select either Forward or Print from the drop down menu.|
|Left / Right Arrows||Click on the left or right arrows in the top right corner to switch to the next or previous message in your search results, while remaining in the Message Details view.|
The message details are split into separate panels, as outlined below:
|Details||This displays if the message hasn't been delivered and archived (i.e. it's held or bounced) and includes details of the message properties and the remote server information. Depending on the message status, an additional information box is displayed at the top. Click on either:|
|Message||Displays the different components of the message separated into the following sections: Show More link to display the full attachment list. Optionally click on the three-dot icon to download an attachment.|
|Header||Displays the header information in Plain Text.|
|Transmission Data||Displays the message transmission information and components. Optionally toggle the Compare Views button to show the Received View (sender details) and Delivery View (recipient details) side by side.|
|Policies (Information is only available in Delivery view)||Displays the active policies that were considered at the time of the message transmission.|
You can action held messages from the Message Details panel, if you consider the message to be safe or harmful. Click on either the Release or Reject drop down arrow, and select your chosen action. The available actions are:
- Release: The message is released to the intended recipient.
- Release to Sandbox: The message is released to the sandbox for additional scanning.
- Permit for Recipient: The message is released, and the sender is added to the recipient's permitted senders list.
- Reject: The message is rejected for delivery and removed from the held queue.
- Reject (Notify Sender): The message is rejected for delivery and removed from the held queue. The sender is notified by email.
- Block for Recipient: The message is rejected, and the sender is added to the recipient's blocked senders list.
When an action is taken on a held message, the information is added to the archived message so that you're able to retrospectively track the history. You can view the "Held Release Event Information" in the Transmission Data panel of the Delivery View. See the "Message Features" section above for further details.
Managing Your Search Results
Message tracking allows you to refine and filter your search results to easily locate any message to troubleshoot delivery. It also allows you to export the search results to a file
With your search results displayed, you can refine the search parameters without performing a new search.
- Make your adjustments in the fields displayed at the top of the results.
- Click on the Search button to display the refined results.
You can filter your search results by:
- The message status (accepted, bounced etc.).
- The message route (inbound, outbound etc.).
- Whether the message has an attachment or not.
To filter your search:
- Click on the Filters | None Selected to display the filter options.
- Select the required filters.
- Optionally click on the Select All link to select all filters.
- Click on the Apply button. The message results display your selections.
To export your search results:
- Click on the Export button. The Export Results panel is displayed.
- Deselect any Columns you wish to exclude. All message information is included in the download by default.
- Specify a File Format for the download file. The default is .CSV.
- Click on the Download button. Your exported file is downloaded to your local desktop.
Customizing the Search Results View
You can customize the view of the search results page to display only the message details that are most relevant, without having to search again. To do so:
- Click on the Settings icon. A drop down dialog displays.
- Select the Columns you want to view.
- Click on the Apply button.
- Optionally, you can change the number of messages shown per page. Click the down arrow of the Show tab and make your selection.