This guide describes how administrators responsible for adding and managing the API applications your organization has developed, can add, change, enable, disable, and delete API applications in the Administration Console.
To access your API Applications:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration toolbar button. A drop down menu is displayed.
- Select the Services | API Applications menu item. Any existing API applications are displayed.
With your API applications displayed you can:
- Add an application
- Edit an application
- Delete an application
Adding an API Application
To add an API Application:
- Click on the Add API Application button.
- Fill in the Details section as outlined below:
Field Description Application Name Provide a name for the application that you can easily identify. Category Select a category for the application from the drop down menu:
- SIEM Integration: Relates to security information and event management (SIEM), that provides real-time analysis of security alerts generated by the application.
- MSP Ordering & Provisioning: Assists with provisions for the Managed Service Provider (MSP) Portal, available for select Partners to manage customers.
- Email / Archiving: The application relates to the messages and files stored in Mimecast.
- Business Intelligence: The application's infrastructure and tools enable access to and analysis of information to improve and optimize decisions and performance.
- Process Automation: The application allows automation of business processes.
- Other: Select this option if the application doesn't fit with any of the other categories.
Service Application If the "Enable Extended Session option" is selected, access keys generated for the application don't expire based on the Authentication Profile TTL. This is recommended for integrations that need to have a valid access and secret key pair to call the API frequently using just authorization. Description Provide a description of the application.
- Click on the Next button.
- Fill in the Settings section as outlined below:
Field Description Developer Add the name of the application's developer. Add the email address of the application's developer.
- Click on the Next button.
- Review the information displayed in the Summary page to ensure all details are correct. To fix any errors:
- Click on the Edit link next to the Details or Settings to return to the relevant page.
- Make your changes and click on the Next button to proceed to the Summary page again.
- When you're ready, click on the Add button. The application's details display in a slide in panel. You can create keys for your application 30 minutes after you've successfully created it. See the "Creating Application Keys" section below for full details.
- Click on the X to return to the list of API applications.
Creating Application Keys
Once you’ve created your application, you can create its access and secret keys:
- Click on the API Application from the application list.
- Click on the Create Keys button. A Create Keys wizard is displayed with the Account tab selected.
- Enter the Email Address of your service account. You’ll need to know the service account’s domain or cloud password for the next step.
- Click on the Next button. The Authentication tab is selected.
- Complete the Authentication dialog:
Field / Option Description Email Address This displays the service account email specified in the Account tab. Type Select the service account's password type (e.g. domain or cloud). Password Enter the service account's password.
- Click on the Next button. The Verification tab is displayed, and a verification code is sent to you by SMS.
- Enter the Code within 15 minutes. If the verification code entered is older than 15 minutes or has been used before, the verification fails and a new code must be issued.
- Click on the Next button. The Keys tab is displayed with the generated keys hidden by default.
- Click on the Finish button to exit the wizard and return to the application list.
Changing an API Application
To change an API Application:
- Click on the Application to be changed. A slide in panel displays.
- Click on the Edit button. The Details settings tab displays by default.
- Make any necessary changes. You can click on Settings / Details in the navigation panel to switch between tabs as required.
- Click on the Save & Close button. Your changes are applied to the application information displayed.Changing settings won't generate a new application key.
Enabling / Disabling an API Application
To enable / disable an API Application:
- Click on the Application to be enabled / disabled. A slide in panel displays.
- Toggle the Enabled setting on / off.
- Click on the three-dot menu icon in the far right corner of the listed applications. A drop down menu displays.
- Click on Enable / Disable from the menu, depending on the application's current setting.
- A popup message displays to confirm your selection.
Deleting an API Application
To delete an API Application:
- Click on the Application to be deleted. A slide in panel displays.
- Click on the Delete button. A popup box displays to confirm the request.
- Click on the Delete button to proceed.
- Click on the three-dot menu icon in the far right corner of the listed application. A drop down menu is displayed.
- Click on Delete.