This guide describes how you can allow your trusted domains and IPs to bypass the Mimecast Web Security functionality by configuring Exceptions.
The domains / IPs added to your Exceptions list will not connect with Mimecast, so any configured security policies are nonapplicable and user activity is not logged. We therefore recommend that all Exceptions are carefully considered. They should be domain areas that are frequently utilized and fully trusted (i.e. internal company sites).
To make the initial configuration process easier, new customers will have a default Exceptions list created in their account with the following TLDs. Administrators can modify the following list of default exceptions, and add them manually should they be required:
If you wish to have more granular control over the domains you allow users to access, we recommend adding top-level domains / sub-domains to your allow / block lists in a Domain Filtering policy. View the "Configuring a Domain Filtering Policy" section of the Mimecast Web Security: Configuring a Policy page for more information.
To access exceptions:
- Log on to the Administration Console.
- Click on the Administration menu item. A drop down menu displays.
- Click on the Web Security | Exceptions menu item.
Adding an Exception
To add a new exception:
- Click on the Add New Exception button.
- Complete the pop out panel displayed on the right of the screen:
Field / Option Description Name Add a description for the exception (e.g. Internal Subsidiary Domain). Type Select whether the exception is a "Domain" or "IP Range" from the drop down list. The selected field displays. Domain Specify a domain name. IP Range Specify the IP address range in CIDR format.
- Click on the Add button.
To edit an exception:
- Click on an exception. The Edit an Exception dialog displays.
- Edit the fields as required.
- Click on the Save button.
Deleting an Exception
To delete an exception:
- Click on the icon to the right of the exception.
- Click on the Delete menu item. A confirmation popup box displays.
- Click on the Delete button to confirm.
- Click on the All down arrow next to the search field.
- Select one of the following filters:
- All: Searches all exceptions regardless of the type. This is the default.
- Name: Searches for the exception name.
- Domain: Searches for the domain name.
- IP Address / Range: Searches the IP address range.
- Enter your search criteria in the Search field (e.g. name, domain, IP address).
- Press the Enter key or click on the search icon. Your results display.