Connecting to Mimecast: Frequently Asked Questions

Document created by user.oxriBaJeN4 Employee on Nov 20, 2018Last modified by user.oxriBaJeN4 Employee on Jan 14, 2019
Version 20Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

This guide provides administrators with common troubleshooting solutions for various issues relating to setting up the Mimecast Gateway. Should you need to escalate to Mimecast Support, ensure you have the following details to hand:

• General troubleshooting steps taken so far.
  • Any non-delivery notifications returned.
  • Example messages, with the message ID or From/To addresses.

LDAP

Q:Why aren't I receiving any messages from Mimecast?
A:Ensure your firewall is configured to allow communication from all Mimecast regional inbound IPs on the correct ports (typically 636 for encrypted, 389 for non-encrypted). View the Mimecast Data Centers and URLs page for details.
Q:How can I enable LDAP Encryption?
A:If using encryption, ensure a certificate is properly installed. The "Strict" encryption setting requires a valid publicly-signed certificate, while the "Relaxed" encryption setting allows for a self-signed certificate. View the "Creating the Mimecast Directory Connection" section of the Enabling LDAP Directory Synchronization for Active Directory page for details.
Q:Our Active Directory framework appears incorrectly positioned. How can this be solved?
A:Check that the Distinguished Name (DN) attribute is correct, as this refers to a user account and its position in the Active Directory tree hierarchy. Refer to the "Determining the Distinguished Name" section of the Enabling LDAP Directory Synchronization for Active Directory page for details.
Q:Why am I having credential issues when logging into the Active Directory?
A:Ensure the password is correct. We recommend resetting the password for the service account in Active Directory, and setting the same password in the Directory Synchronization properties in the Administration Console.

Journaling

Q:Why aren't messages journaling correctly?
A:Check the Monitoring | Connections menu item in the Administration Console for journal errors. Also check the Service Status and Queue Details for any errors. See the "Troubleshooting Journaling" section of the Journaling page for more information.
Q:I'm having issues with POP journaling. What should I do?
A:Check your POP mailbox for corrupted messages. Also test the Journal extraction in the Administration Console, and ensur the encryption mode is correct. See the Configuring Exchange 2007 POP3 / POP3S Journaling page for more information.

Domains / Users

Q:We're experiencing issues receiving mail from a corporate domain. How can this be fixed?
A:Display your domains via the Directories | Internal Directories menu item in the Administration Console. Ensure the "Inbound Checks" column isn't set to "Send Only Domain". Right click on the domain to select the Edit Domain menu item to change the properties.
Q:We're experiencing issues registering a corporate domain. What could be the issue?
A:Ensure you have control over the domain’s DNS host, and that the verification code has been correctly published. View the Configuring Internal Domain / Subdomains page for details.
Q:How can User Properties problems be resolved?
A:You could try the following:
  • Run a manual directory synchronization.
  • Use your directory browser to query particular attributes.
  • Confirm the user is not on a purge list, and is not disabled or locked out.
  • Verify which application settings apply to the user, by clicking the Directories | Internal Directories menu item in the Administration Console. Once there, select the user and the application Setting used is displayed in the "Effective Group Application Settings" option.

Monitoring

Q:I'm receiving message queue alert errors. How can these be resolved?
A:Check the Monitoring | Delivery menu item in the Administration Console for errors. This should tell you why the messages are failing delivery. There may be duplicate / mass emails being sent by one particular address. Also ensure that Delivery Routing definitions are configured correctly, and recalculate delivery if changes were made to routing policies.
Q:How can I receive Service Monitor notifications correctly?
A:Ensure alerts are enabled with the correct thresholds, and check that subscribers are properly set up. View the Notifications and Managing Subscribers pages for more information.

Miscellaneous

Q:Can I change my Account Settings?
A:Not personally, but if you contact your Mimecast Customer Advocate they can make this happen.
Q:How can authorized outbound addresses by added or removed?
A:As any IP can only reside on one customer account, confirm that the IP belongs to the customer. Also check that mail from other domains is not being sent from the IP. If the IP belongs to a hosted service such as Office 365 or Google Apps, contact Mimecast Support regarding linking an umbrella account. See our Maintaining Authorized Outbound Addresses page for further details.

See Also...

Attachments

Outcomes